Listen to Nancy’s answer recorded live on Moody Radio’s program Morning’s with Kelli and Steve.
This is a question that needs to be asked because it answers so many other questions about Jesus.
The virgin birth t is a big deal because the Scriptures foretold that Mary would be a vir- gin and give birth to Jesus.
• Isaiah 7:14 ”Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.” 700 BC
• Matthew 1:23 ““Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel” (God with us)
It is important because Mary said that she was a virgin. Luke 1:34 “And Mary said to the angel, “How will this be, since I am a virgin?”
Mary herself didn’t understand how such a thing could happen. God answered her.
- Luke 1:35 “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy—the Son of God.”
- Matthew 1:18 1”Now the birth of Jesus Christ took place in this way. When hismother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child from the Holy Spirit.”
Mary gave physical birth to Jesus. Jesus was not a spirit; He was, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.” John 1:14“And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his
** Most important reason
Mary was a virgin and she was also a sinner.
- Luke 1:46 “And Mary said, My soul magnifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior…”
- Romans 3:23 ”All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.”Jesus came about through the union of Mary and the sinless, holy and perfect Holy Spirit.
Unlike all human beings, Jesus did not have a sin nature.
The sin nature is passed down through generation through the father.
- Romans 5:12 “Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned”.
- Romans 5:19 “For as by the one man’s disobedience the many were made sin- ners, so by the one man’s obedience the many will be made righteous.”
**The virgin birth made it impossible for the transmission of the sin nature and allowed the eternal God to become a perfect man.That is why the virgin birth is so important to the story of the birth and life of Jesus!!