Listen to Nancy’s answer recorded live on Moody Radio, on Morning’s with Kelli and Steve.
The definition of a cult is a group of people centered on the false teachings of a leader who claims that he/she is uniquely called by God. It embraces particular rites and customs.
- A strong leader who professes to have been uniquely called of God to be lead Christianly or to be a spiritual leader
- The leader claims to have had a miraculous experience in this calling.
- The group requires the study of books other than the Bible. Revealed truths supersede or contradict the Bible.
- They reject all translations of the Bible as “incorrect”and only use their own translations or commentaries by their leader in order to “understand the Bible.
- They claim that theirs is “the only true church”or organization on the face of the earth today.
- They speak ill of all Christian churches.
- Severe discipline is exercised by the leaders of the group.
- Persons who leave the cult must be shunned by the rest of the members. They may not even be addressed on the street.
- Jesus is not considered to be God of the Scriptures.
- The gospel of God’s grace is absent.
Cult leaders often claim new revelations from God. Beliefs change with the new revelations.
People who belong to cults can be some of the nicest people you might ever meet. When we have the opportunity to have a relationship with them, it is important to be compassionate. Most of them have been deceived by the lie of Satan. They need to be introduced to Jesus who died and rose again making Him God. Also you can challenge them of what life would be like not to have to perform for God? Works are the heartbeat of all cults.
John 4: 2-3 “By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already.”